Why would you update your outlet covers and switch plates?
Disclaimer: In the name of full transparency, please be aware that this blog post contains affiliate links and any purchases made through such links will result in a small commission for me (at no extra cost for you). As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. I am not a finance expert. Anything written here are just personal experiences and my own opinions.
Recently I finished a DIY project – you can check it out here – and I had some spray paint left over. First, I thought well I guess I didn’t need to buy that much. Then, instead of just letting it sit around and collect dust I decided that I would use it to get rid of these drab almond outlet covers that I hated.
With all my other hardware now a contemporary sleek black color they really just looked out of place. Hence, with my leftover supplies I decided to do what I would call an inbetweener project (yep, that’s now a word, or at least in my brain it is). Anyway, if you have read this far, thank you for indulging, but let me get to what you really came here for.
How do you update your almond outlet covers?
Here are the quick steps I took to update the almond outlet covers in my living room, hallway, and master bed/bath.
First things first, make sure you are all set for your project with your materials. Although, if you are like me and completing this as an inbetweener leftover project, you may already have all of this at the ready. If not, check out the links below to get everything you need for this quick project.
- The Spray Paint: Rust-Oleum 11oz Universal Metallic Oil Rubbed Spray Paint Bronze. You could use any color of spray paint that goes with your décor!
- Clear Coat: Rust-Oleum 12oz Chalked Matte Spray Paint Clear
- Trash bags
- Piece of foam or old box
Second, and likely most important, is the prep. Make sure you are spraying a clean surface. You don’t want all your hard work to be for nothing.
- Set up your painting area
- I used my outdoor patio table and just covered with trash bags! Quick and easy!
- Remove all the covers from the wall with a screwdriver (I used this rechargeable screwdriver – it works great and was very inexpensive)
- Wipe off the switch plates and screws to make sure they are clear of any grease or grime
- I just wiped them down with a disinfectant wipe
- Lay out all the switch plates face up
- Stick the screws into a box or piece of foam to be able to easily spray the tops
- Wear gloves and a mask for safety and grab your colored spray paint of choice
Spray it out!
Next is when the fun starts (at least I think it’s fun!)! Make sure when you are spraying that you evenly hold and distribute the paint across the entire surface. I find that walking around the table to get all the angles is the most helpful way to do it. I usually keep the can about 6 inches above what I am spray.
- Shake well (seriously make sure you really shake that thing or it will come out clumpy)
- Apply a lite coat of paint over all the covers and the tops of the screws
- Allow to dry for 1-2 hours
- Repeat steps 6-9 with the clear coat
- Reapply the switch plates, bask in the feeling of a job well done, and show off your new updated look to anyone who will listen 😊
- Optional – share this post with any of those adoring fans of your work who may want to try their hand out at an affordable and easy DIY project!
How did it turn out?
Once I reapplied all of the switch covers, I was very pleased with the updated look that now matched my other oil rubbed bronze hardware pieces. It was an incredibly simple project that only took about 4 hours to complete (including drying time)! I got 25 updated switch plates for a total cost of $14.23 (this is the total cost for the full cans of color and clear coat so it was really even less expensive as I didn’t use the full bottle 😊) or ~.57 each, compared to the lowest price I found online of $3.23 each, that is a savings of $66.52!
Now while even with the price breakdown above, some will read this and say why take the time to paint these when you could just buy new ones for not too much more. I say every dollar counts when trying to be as effective as possible with your money. I hope you enjoyed this quick DIY. If you had fun with this one and want to tackle a bigger project, check out my post to Update Your Brass Doorknobs!